Monday, November 5, 2012

Healthy Living- Spaghetti Squash


I think everyone has certain vegetables that they are not as inclined to cook with... right?  For me, squash is that vegetable.  Although I had it growing up, it wasn't a standard vegetable in our house (I don't think my dad was a fan).  Over the pass couple years, I've started integrating it in with our regular meals......and more recently I've experimented with spaghetti squash.  As a winter squash, it  is even better nutritionally for you than summer squashes.  It's also a great substitute for pasta, and lends a hand with any carb cravings. 
~

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees  
2. Cut the ends off your squash, and then cut it length-wise.
3.  Scoop out seeds 
4. Place squash on baking sheet face down and cook 45 minutes- 1 hour (depending on the oven and size of squash)
5. The squash is done!  Now just "fork out" the spaghetti.

*Fewer things are more disgusting to me than overcooked squash(yuck), so I prefer mine to be a little crispy.  If you overcooked yours (I've done this many times), just try again:). 
* I like to add a little Parmesan to mine.  Martha Stewart does this along with some rosemary and thyme here (I think I'm going to try this next).

0 comments: