Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Healthy Living Post: Turkey Zucchini Burgers

Hello there.  Life has been exceptionally busy over here lately, in case you were wondering.  Since we returned from our Christmas trip on New Years Eve, we have been prepping for our move, entertaining friends (that I'm not ready to say goodbye to yet), made a trip to the outskirts of NYC, and most recently my sister came for a long weekend.  
~
 Normally when we have company, I worry about cooking too healthy (I want my guests to enjoy themselves), but since my sister is very health conscious I didn't have to think twice about cooking my normal recipes.  I recently discovered these turkey zucchini burgers on pinterest.   Since I like to have mini meals of protein throughout the day, these are perfect.  I think that one of the keys to eating healthy is planning ahead, so I usually make five patties at the start of the week and have them in the fridge as an easy "grab and go" protein.  I don't eat them with buns (as pictured), but as I have not been eating buns for a long time now, I don't even miss it.  


Ingredients:  


  • 1.25 lbs 93% lean ground turkey
  • 1 small zucchini, grated 
  • 1 clove garlic, grated
  • 1 tbsp red onion, grated
  • fresh pepper 
  • oil spray 

Directions: 
    In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, zucchini, breadcrumbs, garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Make 5 equal patties.

    Heat a large skillet on high heat. When hot, lightly spray oil. Add burgers to the pan and reduce the heat to low. Cook on one side until browned, then flip. Flip over a few times to prevent burning and to make sure the burgers are cooked all the way through.

    *If you look at the actual recipe here, you will notice I omitted the salt and bread crumbs- I didn't think it needed them.


    0 comments: