Thursday, July 27, 2017

DIY Cement Planter

Ever since making that cement lamp earlier this year, I have been scheming of other things to make with my leftover bag of cement. If I had known how easy it is to work with (just add water!) , I would have been all over these projects a long time ago.  Between the lamp and the planter, there is hardly a dent in my $20 bag of cement, so prepare yourselves for a lot more DIY's coming your way. While it is messy, it's very simple to use. I'm starting to see things at the grocery store as molds for my cement rather than items for my pantry. (Send help!)
~

1. I used a large cottage cheese container as the larger mold, and then placed a yogurt container inside to create the "hole" for the plant. Plastic molds are fine, cardboard molds are better, and stay away from metal molds (such as cans).
2. Then you just mix cement and water- it doesn't have to be perfect, I promise. Just make a "soup-like" texture, and then pour in the space between the two containers.
3. Make sure that the yogurt container is not pushed all the way down, so that there will be a cement bottom to your planter, and at the same time make sure it doesn't slide up. After about 10-15 min. the cement will start to settle.
4. I left mine on a shelf overnight and then it was completely hardened. I kept mine simple by painting a simple gold line around it.
~




0 comments: