Sunday, March 11, 2012

My go-to smoothie

I love smoothies. Years ago, I remember how crushed I felt learning about all the syrup and sugar that went into them. Not healthy at all....bummer. Then, when I first moved to WA, I was introduced to the most delicious smoothies by our friends the Hannula's.....and they were healthy. The secret ingredient? Acai. Years later, and I am still making the same smoothie. My routine breakfast is either oatmeal or a smoothie.....and ever since being pregnant, oatmeal grossed me out. So- I have been on smoothies for the past 6.5 months. I go between this one and a green smoothie that I will share with you later. You can read about the health benefits of Acai here. While research is still being done, acai is at minimum an antioxident with fiber and healthy fats. If nothing more, it's a natural sweetener (a berry, in fact) for my smoothies.
~
Acai Berry Smoothie
  • 1/2 -1.c. milk (you can use almond milk as well)
  • 1/2 banana
  • Handful frozen strawberries (or any other frozen berries)
  • ~1/3 scoop acai powder (I use Garden Greens Berry Splash, found at GNC or Amazon)
*I use a magic bullet for all my smoothies, and highly recommend it for a great consistency. That's it! So simple.
~
Ps. Don't let the guys at GNC fool you, it's pronounced (ah-sigh-EE)

0 comments: