Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Entryway Reveal

One of the challenges I have faced with having a newer development style home and also having a minimal design aesthetic (my love for small amounts of color doesn't help things either) is that things can quickly start to look unfinished rather than purposefully minimal. This entryway is a prime example of that. Take our entryway a year ago:
~
There's nothing wrong with it really, but it's looking borderline unfinished and plain whereas in an old home with character it would look more "minimal cool". I spent a few months trying to figure out how to bring attention to this space while still maintaining my design. Enter the abstract wall mural. I knew it would either be a disaster or exactly what was needed, and thankfully it ended up being the latter. If you've followed me on instagram for a while, you'll know that it was a while back that I was working on an abstract wall mural (August I think?!). With my new resolve (mentioned here) to share more of my  house and less time waiting around, I've decided to share it with you today:
~
The wall mural was definitely out of my comfort zone, but I couldn't get it out of my mind, so I had to give it a try. I used some tape and mapped out the shape I was going for and it was an easy afternoon project while I was pregnant with Charlie. I was very happy with the results, it brought some definition to the entryway, and added the necessary modern touch to a space that was starting to get too rustic for my taste. 
We made the bench out of some old wood and hairpin legs (I'm on the search for a sturdier/more functional piece of wood because right now it's purely decorative), and a map of our old neighborhood in NY sits on it. Connor helped me make those awesome wood faceted hooks (more on that soon!) as well. I think one of the reasons I love this space so much is because of how personalized it is through DIY and sentimental items. 


Bench- DIY (and these hairpin legs)
Runner- West Elm
Hooks- DIY (coming soon)
Today is a Good Day wall hanging- White Horse Home
Basket- Lantern Moon
The air plant and planter-gift




0 comments: